Tuesday, December 11, 2007

essay on derogatory words to women

There is a slang dictionary that is being written by students. All of the words that were chosen are referring to women. For example, the word gold digger and hood hopper are words that consist of men also not just women. These words are always used in an average black neighborhood. You know a girl and you know she has been through a lot of dating with your friends and a couple of relatives. This woman is considered a hood hopper.
The reason I think a lot of students picked these words is because the words that were picked are going through the school.
I think the words should be in the slang dictionary because the words really are used in the average black neighborhood. The words that people make up go a long way. If someone hears a word they like, then they will start saying it often. Then the next person might feel the same way, and so on.
I had different thoughts about the definitions of a couple of words that the people in my class chose. For example “zonked” was defined as tired. I thought that it meant to be hit or struck by something or someone. So that would be a word that won't be passed on or used by me. These words are derogatory only if you make the words out to be. Therefore the slang dictionary should be written for the sake of slang terminology. Speaking in slang you get a good understanding of a black slang culture. If you speak that way, then you understand what I am saying, but if not, then what I mean is if you take it as being derogatory then it is. If you don’t think it is derogatory then it isn’t in your category.

No comments: